Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Muscle Memory - The Friend

Welcome Home, Old Friend

Have you ever been away from a dear friend for a long time, and then when you finally see them again, your whole being fills with happiness? There is a feeling deep inside that is almost impossible to describe. That is what this blog is about.

Setting the Stage for the Performance - Last night, I watched a qualification competition to determine who would represent our province at an upcoming multi-province gathering of the best lawn bowlers.

David had just started this year playing with Raymond, who is one of the finest bowlers we have in the province.  A  couple weeks ago, they had already completed one three-game competition together, and afterward I overheard David say to Raymond,

"It is so good to play with someone who thinks the same as you do."

David had been away from competitive Lawn Bowls for a few years, but this season, now back at his old club and playing with Raymond, he has begun participating much more actively.

As I sat watching the competition, I noticed something right from the very first bowl delivery. David delivered as if it was routine. A short pause before stepping onto the mat, hia pause was only for a few seconds—as  if collecting his thoughts before beginning his delivery. The bowl was a smooth roll and came to rest within inches of the jack.

However, as the game continued, I noticed that routine disappeared. He simply stepped onto the mat and rolled his bowls much as someone would during a practice session. The bowls were still good, and several finished within a foot of the jack, but there wasn't the same consistency or rhythm that I had seen in his often relax delivery. Certainly not like that first delivery.

Then, around the sixth end of the game, I noticed that his The Pre-Mat Pause had returned.

Once again, before stepping onto the mat, David stopped briefly, gathered himself, and thought about the shot before beginning his delivery. The game finished with a convincing victory—17 points ahead of the opponents.

Afterward, while we were talking, I mentioned something I had observed; saying

"Interesting. The first bowl you delivered included your Pre-Mat Pause before stepping onto the mat, and then I didn't see it again until the sixth end."

David replied,   "Oh... that's interesting!"

His response made me wonder afterward if perhaps I had been too forward in saying what I had noticed. Too often I do that and wonder if I should maybe not have said what I did.

Tonight was the second qualification game and not wanting to interrupt  any pre-game self-talk and mental preparation, I avoided conversation and simply wished David,

"Have a good game, David."

As a spectator, I sat outside the fence surrounding the green. I always sit outside at our club because I am respecting the three-metre space behind the mat. I also like sitting on the centre line because it allows me to read the green more accurately and better observe the performances of the players.

Then, around the third end, something happened that completely surprised me.

As David returned from the mat and his first bowl roll, he walked toward where I was sitting. Instead of remaining on the green, he crossed over the ditch, came to the fence, looked at me, and said,

"Thank you for noticing my missing Pre-Shot Routine. It really helps."

Now, David is certainly not new to understanding Muscle Memory and the  performance with all the feelings of what we call "The void", but I knew exactly what he meant.

What he was really saying was,

"I have returned to doing my Pre-Shot Routine, and after the delivery I felt that familiar feeling again.and again, and again."

At that moment, I myself experienced something very special as I also felt once again that wonderful moment when Muscle Memory completes the delivery and returns your conscious mind to a feeling of presence.

A Long-Lost Friend had Return

That feeling was very much like most people feel after a long absence of a very good friend. 

It has been a couple of years since I bowled the way I once did. Where with every bowl roll there is an lost of time and sense until reality is seeing the bowl roll up the green.

Recently I played in a five-night Singles competition against many of our best players. Throughout those games I realize my age was changing my performance. I now found myself simply stepping onto the mat, deciding on the shot, and delivering it. Yes, was happy with the shot and sometime felt "Muscle Memory's Pause".

But something was missing in recent years as I wasn't completing the entire cycle of preparation, performance, and analysis. but more often then not, just  doing a sort of "just practice delivery".

Now that I have passed my 80th birthday, I have found that maintaining focus throughout the complete Delivery Cycle has become something I must consciously work on again. In the single competition I tried to Focus Deliver 2 of the 4 bowls and Practice Deliveer the other two. Now, I was simply rolling bowls.

Then, standing there and hearing David speak about returned to using his Pre-Shot Routine and was feeling after each bowl a unique feeling of satification, I immediately recognized the memory of that feeling.

For many years, I knew exactly what an athlete with well-developed Muscle Memory experiences when the subconscious completes the delivery and then quietly hands control back to the conscious mind. But there is an addiction to the wanting to feel it for every bowl rolled.

That moment of returning awareness... That feeling of  self thought and presence after a Muscle Memory Performance and the reality of knowing as the bowl rolls that you were absence of thought as you feel that void of mind.

That is what David had rediscovered, not once but with every bowl because his Pre-Shot routine was now back as part of his Delivery. He had returned to his previous Delivery Style, and he was feeling it with most  of his shots again.

As for me, the memory of that feeling passed through me and I was so overwhelmed and with such a surprise, that all I could saw was.

You're welcome."

David finished our brief conversation by saying,

"Thank you, John."

To those readers who have ever experienced the return of an old friend and know the warmth that feeling brings, I am sure you understand exactly what I mean.

And to those of you who have not yet experienced that return of concious mind—that moment when your preparation, your delivery, your Muscle Memory, and your awareness all come together once again, and you watch your bowl roll beautifully toward the jack (having realized your mind has been gone for a few seconds)   Be patient... It will come.....Eventually.

When it does, you too will understand why I chose the title, "Welcome Home, Old Friend." Because that is exactly what I felt I was saying.

And I believe it was exactly what David was saying as well. So here, Just a short blog with something very important to share.

No photographs....Just a very good feeling.

Thank you, David, for reminding me of that feeling once again.

Good bowling to everyone who understands this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment