Friday, August 16, 2013

I Love "Bowls" So What?

 Do you have or wear a " I love "Something" " T-shirts ?
 No !  Not surprised.  A lot of us don't commit or express ours feelings anymore.  Well I plan to make a commitment and do something to show my love of Lawn  Bowls.  and my angel will look over my actions and see if it bears fruit.
    Scenario: Over the weekend, I showed a Youtube video to a lawn bowler friend, who told me she would be volunteering for their club's Monday night Blind Bowls. An activity I organized and administered fro that club for over 4 years.

Youtube Internation Blind Bowls Coaching
 I showed  her how a  Blind Bowls Night should be administered.  Showed, how to have Blind individuals enjoy Bowls.as a sport that can be "loved"  I knew the participants and how they had become serious about Bowls. Now a few days later, I ask my friend, how it went with her Blind Bowls Night.  I was told " OH we didn't do those things or like that."  "We just let them roll the bowls"  They are quite sociable so I talked most time with a couple of them" The club president was on the green with four of them.
    My opinion.  Instead of giving them a "center line" to know where the jack is; or using the distance indication markers so they knew how far to throw their bowl;  They were given the opportunity to exercise with Bowls.  They simply Rolled the Bowls to nowhere.
    Yes,  The blind participants were allow to bowl the bowls up the green for their exercise.
   Comment: When I coached and administered that club's Blind Bowls Monday Night, I had two car loads of Blind and from the age of 18 to 74.  That night there were only 5 and only 4 on the green.
Question:   If you believe Bowls is a great Sport and love your time on the Green,  why are you not bubbling over with excitement when you get a chance to show the sport to someone new?.  Why are you not excited to get a new club member?. 
    Commitment:   "I love Bowls" Like I play Billiards (pool) all winter and am amazed with all the effect I can put on a Pool Cue Ball;  I also am amazing how bowls can be so difficult, complex, or even interesting.  This year, this winter, I am blogging ever week on Bowls and My blogs will be short and to the point and a different one every two days. I am approaching 70 and want to thank all those who gave me this joyful sport.
   .

No comments:

Post a Comment