Monday, September 3, 2012

Clear Head Counts

Lawn Bowls may seem a recreational for the elderly, but it does require that you be physically fit.  Coaching new Lawn Bowlers, we take the time to teach wear-up exercises as some unique muscles get their first exercise with that first end of Bowls.
    A major part of being fit is the mental alertness and able to make good decisions and execute the wanted performance.  A recent two day tournament was not approached correctly and the results was not having a Clear head.   I am a diabetic and although I never put much importance, other than medications, exercise and selective diet; I discovered that a Sugar-Low during a game can occur rapidly and be very dangerous.
   I had not sleep well before the start of the tournament, as I had just done a long flight and family visit.  The games were at my own club so I spend extra time working at the club preparing the greens and equipment.
    Into the second of great sunny weather I discovered that I was felling strange. Thinking it was a need for water, I tried it.. But as a Sugar-Low occurred I found the inability to balance during delivery and I was shaking when writing the score.   I sat out one end until it was time to bowl but I realize afterward, I could have very easily been on the edge of a Diabetic Comma,
    Clear head means being fit with both physical and mental health.  To have worries about family, a medical condition or just tired from a flight is not going to give you a great game.
    I won forth place but could have probably done 1st as the games were easily (social build money tournament)  but in the last two games, I found the fine tuning of that kiss, jack roll or wick was not there.
    Be healthy, wise and have fun..  your game and health is both important

No comments:

Post a Comment