Saturday, September 1, 2012

Free Advice

In every game of Bowls there is free Advice given to the opponent.  When in the 1st game of Mixed triples on a end green, I moved the jack to the left limit line; I waited for the opponent skip to try a draw off-green/back to jack.  I had shot and could draw or raise through the centre line bowls, so why give the line of a off-green draw.
    The opponent eventually tried the shot and discovered that a ridge drew the off-green bowl to the ditch.  This advice allow me to point on the centre line side of the jack for a third point.

In the second game of these triples, the skip, a social skip was often heard saying to her mate (3rd) what did you take for line. I was aware that she was using my line to create her line.  Yes, a skip who can not find line is unbelievable: but in New Brunswick where teams are hard to create, a lot of social skips try the tournments.  Yes a big money tournment of $195 First place, with 50% of players in the money.
   Knowing the skip had to draw from the right to get shot, I used the left side to promote bowls, as I had shot.  It may seen strange to not draw for another point, but having point and giving the free advice of line would have probably cost dearly.  The skip could draw , add on and take off with great precision, but could not read line. 
    Know when free advice or information you give to an opponent may cost you the game.
 As I stood behind the head with my mate waiting for the 1st skip (opponent) bowl, I said  to my mate. "Yes we have 3 on the jack, but they have 5 back here and we don t have a change if they roll the jack"  The opponent mate, hearing the conversation.. now suggested to the skip to play across and takeout the shot which would have moved the jack to their 5 bowls.. With only a 4 point lead this advice could have been costly.   (I put my first skip bowl in the middle of the 5 opponents)

No comments:

Post a Comment